Thursday, August 22, 2013

A clarification....



But first today's panel: S2/E14. More blue water and sandy beaches. Just like Northern Michigan where we live.

That HuffPost headline, "Man Spends 50 Years.....", and now a very similar one on oddity.com, implies that I have worked on the Map, non-stop, for 50 years. I estimate that I have averaged 20 minutes a day over 30 years. I stopped working on this project in about 1983, and it was stored in my attic until 2003 when my son, Henry, found it. He brought the box down to me and said, "Hey, Dad! What is this? And can I have it?" I got re-inspired and took up working on it every day.

So, at 20 minutes a day and allowing for my 20-year coffee break, I have worked on this for a total of 219,000 minutes. If I worked 8 hours a day that would come to
456.25 days or 1 year and 3 months. To have "wasted" 15 months of my 70 years and 9 months doesn't seem too bad.

4 comments:

  1. It's never a waste doing something you love. I make comic strips that no one ever reads. I do it for two hours a day. By my calculations, I'll have drawn for 30, 24hr days this year at the end of the year. A month of my year. And it doesn't feel wasted at all. Because I love it. I love your map Jerry. Don't let comments get you down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support! I appreciate it. Where can we see your comic strips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a friend shared this project with me and i am amazed, intrigued, and highly impressed with this project.

    and honestly, your dedication to something you love is far more an indication of "success" than spending your whole life doing something that is on par with the status quo but that you don't enjoy. that's what life's all about, isn't it? to create and be happy? those who say it's a waste of time, i think, don't quite understand what it means to live. ;) i say carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very impressed that you have managed to make something this incredible in that amount of time. It certainly isn't time wasted!

    I found you via that reddit post and just fell in love with your work. I'd love to have a single project to be this dedicated to! I do a lot of drawing, sewing, and other crafts but lots of smaller projects not one big master work. I really admire your passion and dedication to this.

    ReplyDelete